Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Runner Safety 101

Running at night means a whole new set of safety rules.


By Paul Smith

I’ve been running for many years, and believe that runner safety falls in two categories:
  • Get home alive
  • Get home uninjured

Here are a few of my ideas (opinions) on runner safety.

Where are you going?
Probably the most important thing you can do is let someone know where you’re going and when you expect to be home. If possible, bring a cell phone along with some form of identification. Road I.D. is something you can wear or put on your shoe that has emergency information. Check in if your route changes or you fall off schedule.

Fuel up
Proper fueling should also be part of your run prep. Whether it’s hydration or fuel, prepare for your workout. If going out for a long run, pack a water bottle or fuel belt with hydration product and maybe some sort of fueling gel or block. I’ve “bonked” on runs as short as five miles. I also bonked once on a 12-mile run, where I was six miles out in the forest and resorted to eating berries. It was not a good feeling, and I had a hard time making it home. Imagine being out on a long run and bonking. I now put a Gu in my pocket, just in case.

Ear buds = dangerous
A huge pet peeve of mine is music in the ears. I understand why runners like their music, but I can’t tell you how many times I’ve run up on runners that never knew I was there. And that’s after calling to them letting them know I was coming up on their left. It’s common sense, but only wear one ear bud. I shouldn’t have to explain why this is so dangerous, especially if you’re running alone in the park.

Buddy system
Running with company is a great way to stay safe. You’re probably less likely to be bothered, and if one person goes down, someone else can get help. Running with a dog can also be a great deterrent of other critters and people. Speaking of dogs, be aware of your dog and other people’s dogs. Personally, I’ve been bitten on runs as well as gotten tangled up in excited dogs that just wanted to play. They’re unpredictable and can run in front of you to get a squirrel. That means you go down and crack a knee or twist an ankle.

Running in the dark
As we transition from running in the summer daylight to darkness of winter there are certainly some new things to consider before stepping out the door. Whether it’s in the morning before work or in the evening after work, it’ll most likely be dark and quite possibly cold. Unless you run during daylight hours, this doesn’t apply as much. Otherwise, you need to get “lit up”. 

Reflective gear, lighting and light colored apparel are essential to staying safe during your run.
  • Avoid wearing black clothing. People, cars and bikes need to see you.
  • When approaching runners from the back, shine your light ahead to let them know you are coming. 
  • When approaching runners from the front, direct your light more toward the ground so you don’t blind them.
  • Get used to your surroundings when it’s dark, trying to avoid the tunnel vision that comes with darkness and headlamps. I like to acclimate to the darkness and tilt my light up, so I’m not just focused on the ground in front of me, if I know the footing is good.
  • Dress appropriately for the weather conditions, since it’s easy to shed gear. Gloves, hats, waterproof jackets and moisture wicking apparel should all be part of your arsenal.

Happy running and stay safe out there.


-coach paul

No comments:

Post a Comment